MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon “Yolanda.”
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agency’s MMDA’s Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and “other special units.”
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- Hawaii's Big Island declares emergency over dengue fever infections 1 hour ago
- Govt says DBP-LBP merger to result in more competitive, more service-oriented bank 2 hours ago
- California grants driver's licenses to 605,000 undocumented immigrants 2 hours ago
- 6 dead, 150 hurt as trains collide head-on in Bavaria: police 3 hours ago
- Santiago: Bongbong Marcos is next, 'if something should happen to me' 3 hours ago
- Palace told to tap P2.5B from contigency fund for OFWs displaced by impact of oil price dip 3 hours ago
- DOH urges those coming from countries with Zika cases to observe safe sex 3 hours ago
- Mar Roxas vows '3 freedoms' in Capiz rally 3 hours ago
- Poe's supposed relative from Iloilo attends rally in Quiapo 4 hours ago
- GUSTO MONG MA-SOLO SI BONGBONG? | Bongbong Marcos offers lunch date reward to lucky fan 5 hours ago
- Duterte: I cannot make it without Alan 5 hours ago
- TULONG NI TATAY | Mark Lapid gets dad to play supporting role in ad 5 hours ago
- SCENES | Partylist groups kick off campaign period with costumes, groufies, and karaoke 6 hours ago
- Mitsubishi PHL eyes export market 6 hours ago
- AFP deliberates on shortlist for new PMA superintendent 6 hours ago