MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon “Yolanda.”
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agency’s MMDA’s Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and “other special units.”
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- Pregnant woman killed, 7 others, including 5 kids, wounded as militia fire on wedding party 26 minutes ago
- Nearly 5,000 passengers stranded in various ports due to 'Carina' 48 minutes ago
- NGCP to place Luzon grid on yellow alert Sunday night 2 hours ago
- Islamic State's oil revenue dives as it loses Iraqi territory 2 hours ago
- WATCH | LTFRB bans UV Express Service along EDSA 4 hours ago
- Many Islamic State leaders trying to flee to Syria: Iraqi minister 5 hours ago
- Storm 'Carina' slightly intensifies, poses threat to Isabela-Cagayan area 6 hours ago
- Fiery crash of hot-air balloon kills 16 in central Texas 6 hours ago
- No supervening factor that will affect upcoming GRP-CPP talks in Oslo – Dureza 6 hours ago
- SWS SURVEY | Filipinos’ optimism on quality of life, economy hits new record highs 14 hours ago
- NPA Southern Mindanao Command: AFP units ignored cease fire declaration 16 hours ago
- Duterte: Cease fire with reds is off 17 hours ago
- Mindanao Business Council backs unilateral cease fire with CPP/NPA/NDF 18 hours ago
- LOOK | The crime war is packing decaying jails 19 hours ago
- Syrian maternity hospital bombed - charity 1 day ago