MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon “Yolanda.”
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agency’s MMDA’s Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and “other special units.”
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- China manufacturing index expands at slower pace 53 minutes ago
- EX-MMDA chief Fernando, Ogie Alcasid go for Poe 1 hour ago
- 'Obama out' : president gets in final laughs with US media 1 hour ago
- Taiwan sends patrol ships after boat seized by Japan 2 hours ago
- What ails PH workers? Low wages, 'endo', no social protection, etc.: moderate labor group 2 hours ago
- Binay to El Shaddai, prolifers: my presidency will respect human rights, value of life 3 hours ago
- Indonesian sailors held by Abu Sayyaf freed in Sulu 3 hours ago
- JESSICA ZAFRA | Captain America: Civil War and our turbulent election season 4 hours ago
- TRUTH OR DARE | Tell us what you got from secret trips to China in 2012, Duterte tells Trillanes 4 hours ago
- Watch out for anti-competitive mergers in cooking fuel sector: party-list to Competition Commission 6 hours ago
- DSWD-6 hires magna cum laude Pantawid scholar 7 hours ago
- Kenya torches world's biggest ivory bonfire to save elephants 8 hours ago
- Cebu City hospital to extend hours of outpatient unit 8 hours ago
- S. African radical leftist party draws huge crowd ahead of vote 9 hours ago
- OPINION | Ex-NDFP exec answers the question: What’s behind the rise of Duterte and Marcos? 9 hours ago