MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon âYolanda.â
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agencyâs MMDAâs Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and âother special units.â
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- VIDEO | Baguio-bound bus falls into ravine in Benguet 8 hours from now
- PHOTO | PNoy plays host to Prince Festing of Sovereign Order of Malta 7 hours from now
- Prompt Special Forces operation thwarts ASG bomb plot in Basilan 7 hours from now
- Rep. Quimbo balks at talk for Pacman tax exemption 6 hours from now
- Smart-Landbank mobile loan facility hits P1-billion 6 hours from now
- Ex-mayor, 3 others, booked over shabu lab in Lasam and Gattaran, Cagayan 6 hours from now
- STYLE SMARTS | Belleza Brides: Making wedding gown decisions simpler and budget-friendly 6 hours from now
- GAANO BA DAPAT KALAKI? | Penis size: researchers provide the long and short of it 5 hours from now
- Ancient galaxy sheds light on dust as starmaker 5 hours from now
- PLDT sets modest growth forecast after 2014 profit slips 4 hours from now
- 40 of 180 Americans who went to Syria have returned - US spy chief 4 hours from now
- PWU owners offer slightly higher settlement with STI 4 hours from now
- 20 killed as bus falls off cliff in China - Xinhua 4 hours from now
- BIG BROTHER WILL WATCH OVER YOU | US will 'protect' Syrian rebels in combat - envoy 4 hours from now
- Century Pacific to build more storage facilities 3 hours from now