MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon âYolanda.â
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agencyâs MMDAâs Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and âother special units.â
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- 87 Leyte villages insurgency-free - Army 7 hours from now
- Veterans gather as Taiwan marks Japan's WWII defeat 7 hours from now
- SINO'NG MAS MATIMBANG? Aquino weighs option between Visaya and Delgado for top military post 6 hours from now
- On eve of referendum, Greek finance minister accuses creditors of 'terrorism' 6 hours from now
- 20 MONTHS AFTER HAIYAN | Build tenement houses for 14,000 displaced families - Tacloban City Council 5 hours from now
- PICTURE | Elderly man who collapsed outside bank reveals ordinary Greeks' despair 5 hours from now
- DENR seizes 1,000 board feet of illegally cut lumber from Mt. Apo 4 hours from now
- Puerto Princesa seeks probe on power crisis 4 hours from now
- Owner, crew of capsized Philippine ferry charged with murder 3 hours from now
- 17,000 wanted persons nabbed, 66 killed, 115 surrender over 5 months - PNP 2 hours from now
- Malnutrition brings terrible disease to children of Niger 1 hour from now
- MERS cases keep coming from Seoul's Samsung hospital 42 minutes from now
- China must uphold declaration on conduct in South China Sea it signed in 2002 - Palace 27 minutes from now
- 'I CLOSED MY EYES AND ENTRUSTED MY LIFE TO GOD' | Yolanda survivor survives Ormoc ferry tragedy 2 minutes ago
- Unseasonal storm wreaks havoc in Marshalls 30 minutes ago