MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon âYolanda.â
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agencyâs MMDAâs Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and âother special units.â
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- Smartphones a lifeline for many -- study 8 hours from now
- Anwar's request for Malaysian royal pardon rejected - report 7 hours from now
- PCG: Travelers taking boats must be ready for delayed return if typhoon hits hard 5 hours from now
- Chedeng now less than 1,000 km away from Borongan, Eastern Samar - Pagasa 5 hours from now
- McDonald's to boost wages for 90,000 US employees 5 hours from now
- 'Chedeng' cancels Lenten break of soldiers in Southern Luzon 4 hours from now
- California unveils historic water restrictions over 'devastating' drought 4 hours from now
- Philippine anti-drug enforcers to meet Filipina on death row in Indonesia 3 hours from now
- MMDA does not support LTO's 'no plate-no travel policy' 2 hours from now
- Cuba fears influx of 'tens of thousands' of US yachts: official 1 hour from now
- PNoy says 'world's worst airport' now looking much better 59 minutes from now
- Ebola vaccine tests show it could 'neutralize' virus: Geneva hospital 25 minutes from now
- Questions persist about sexual effects of baldness drug 2 minutes from now
- Four dead, 16 injured in fiery blast at Mexico oil rig 17 minutes ago
- As population ages, clean-up crew on hand to spruce up Japan's 'lonely death' apartments 1 hour ago