MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon “Yolanda.”
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agency’s MMDA’s Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and “other special units.”
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- Egypt court rules Hamas armed wing 'terror group' 10 minutes ago
- Greece seeks EU allies on debt but Germany holds firm 58 minutes ago
- 24 injured at anti-Charlie Hebdo protest in Kabul 1 hour ago
- Italy's new president: a quiet man marked by tragedy 2 hours ago
- Petron hikes price of LPG products 2 hours ago
- PHOTO | Inferno razes Cagayan de Oro City Hall of Justice 3 hours ago
- Pal to integrate International Terminal Fee effective February 1 5 hours ago
- WEEKEND CHEF | Make this ‘sosyal’ cheese spread to impress! 6 hours ago
- UN chief backs 7,500-man regional African force to fight Boko Haram 7 hours ago
- Five army men wounded in ASG ambush in Patikul, Sulu 8 hours ago
- PAF's 'widow maker' claims 2 pilot lives again 9 hours ago
- Japan says Islamic State hostage negotiations 'deadlocked' 9 hours ago
- Sources: AirAsia captain was out of his seat before jet lost control 9 hours ago
- Jihadists increasingly wary of Internet, experts say 9 hours ago
- Peace panels, in KL, say: Give peace a chance 10 hours ago