MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon “Yolanda.”
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agency’s MMDA’s Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and “other special units.”
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom 5 hours ago
- UK Labour leader faces revolt over Brexit campaign 6 hours ago
- Simple inaugural to start Duterte vow of 'real change' 6 hours ago
- Vatican and Turkey locked in Armenian genocide row 6 hours ago
- Britain must 'quickly' announce exit from EU: commissioner 7 hours ago
- Italy hails mafia killer's arrest as historic 7 hours ago
- Malaysian plane intercepted by Indonesian fighter jets: official 8 hours ago
- Brexit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party rows; online petitioners for new poll now at 3.2M 9 hours ago
- Weapons, drugs, phones seized in Misamis Oriental prison 9 hours ago
- US Supreme Court poised to issue major abortion ruling 9 hours ago
- FOCUS | Buyer's remorse as Brexit sinks in 11 hours ago
- Duterte could be open to talks with Abu Sayyaf 11 hours ago
- Chinese ship to inaugurate wider Panama Canal 12 hours ago
- Mayor Duterte to bid goodbye to employees Monday at City Hall flag rites 12 hours ago
- Kerry heads to Britain amid Brexit crisis 13 hours ago