MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon âYolanda.â
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agencyâs MMDAâs Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and âother special units.â
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- COMMENTARY | Strengthening Philippine-Canadian economic ties, Part 1 of 2 7 hours from now
- Vietnam, US jointly hold Pacific security experts' meeting 7 hours from now
- After petition by 120,000, Australia to allow Filipino boy with autism to stay 7 hours from now
- PH to still fly routes based on international law - PNoy 6 hours from now
- US warplanes scrambled after bogus jetliner threats 5 hours from now
- Japan to join US-Australia war games amid growing China tensions 4 hours from now
- Taliban truck bomber wounds over 70 in south Afghanistan 4 hours from now
- Sergio, Lacanilao ordered detained at Nueva Ecija provincial jail 3 hours from now
- Iraq rebuts US criticism of security forces' lack of will to fight IS 2 hours from now
- Philippines seeks stronger commitment from US in South China Sea dispute 2 hours from now
- Islamic State faces battle in Iraq, bombs in Syria 1 hour from now
- Volcano erupts on Galapagos island home to unique pink iguanas 1 hour from now
- VIDEO | Women activists cross DMZ to mixed reception on South Korean side 20 minutes from now
- Texas gov declares states of emergency, more severe weather expected 15 minutes ago
- JESSICA ZAFRA | Drinking too much water can also kill you 42 minutes ago