MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon “Yolanda.”
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agency’s MMDA’s Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and “other special units.”
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- At least 30 dead in 'terrorist' attack on Ankara peace rally 8 hours from now
- Bongbong officially declares quest for VP post 7 hours from now
- N.Korea leader says forces can 'fight any war' with US 6 hours from now
- DBM insists lump-sum appropriations no longer in 2016 budget 6 hours from now
- Robinsons Malls adjudged a PWD-friendly mall 5 hours from now
- With Russian escalation in Syria, West should give up on toppling Assad - analysts 5 hours from now
- More transparency on controversial TPP urged 5 hours from now
- Passage of copycat bills for sale, privatization of coco levy assets scored 5 hours from now
- Young illegal recruiter nabbed in Mandaluyong sting 4 hours from now
- Bloomberry to turn Quezon City property into mixed-use devt 4 hours from now
- UN OKs military action vs human traffickers as new migrant surge hits Greece 3 hours from now
- Chinese slowdown would hit Asia-Pacific region hard -- IMF 3 hours from now
- WEEKEND CHEF | Chef Claude Tayag revamps Pampanga's iconic 'sisig' as a tasty terrine 3 hours from now
- Suspect in Italian ex-priest's kidnapping arrested as cops identify gang leader 3 hours from now
- Lumad deprived of state protection - UN refugee agency 2 hours from now