MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon âYolanda.â
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agencyâs MMDAâs Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and âother special units.â
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- Israeli military networks breached by hackers, say researchers 8 hours from now
- F1 2015 | Formula One publishes human rights commitment 7 hours from now
- Up to 15 hurt in California gas pipeline explosion 7 hours from now
- 'Bookkeeper of Auschwitz,' 93, to be tried for 300,000 murders in Germany 7 hours from now
- Armenian newspaper records century of memories in Istanbul 7 hours from now
- Intense bombing, Qaeda attack follow UN's call for peace in Yemen 6 hours from now
- Balikatan war games start Monday under China's shadow 6 hours from now
- Australia says planned ANZAC Day terror attack foiled 6 hours from now
- US Catholic Church shells out $150M to sex abuse victims, prevention programs 5 hours from now
- Ex-Treasurer Briones raises issue of accountability in Bangsamoro block grant 5 hours from now
- OPINION | In fight vs insurgents, Aquino should make clear liberty, livelihood, safety come first 4 hours from now
- DAIG ANG MAYNILA? | Jakarta has world's worst traffic but no relief seen for another decade 4 hours from now
- Nebraska could abolish death penalty 3 hours from now
- BBL will create 'sub-state' with 'equal strength' to national government - ex-UP Law Dean Magallona 3 hours from now
- Gun battles rock Mexican border city 2 hours from now