MMDA sends 200-member repair, rehab contingent to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The Metro Manila Development Authority has sent 200 civil engineers, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, laborers, radio operators, nurses, welders, masons, and drivers to Tacloban City to assist with repair and rehabilitation work in areas devastated by typhoon âYolanda.â
The contingent left Manila early Tuesday morning and will stay in Tacloban for up to two weeks.
Earlier, the MMDA also sent four search and rescue teams to devastated areas in the Visayas.
MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino said the latest contingent was handpicked from the agencyâs MMDAâs Traffic Engineering Center, Metro Parkway Clearing Group, Road Emergency Group and âother special units.â
Tolentino said the team is equipped with payloaders, dump trucks, tow trucks, forklifts, graders, backhoes, buses, and ambulances, and rescue and mechanic tools like hook lift, bolt cutters, generators, a water treatment machine, chainsaws, and battery-operated radios.
- Actress Charlize Theron adopts baby girl in US 6 hours from now
- Around 30 arrested over violence at Finland neo-Nazi march 6 hours from now
- French tourist arrested for photographing Greek army camp 5 hours from now
- Migrant bids to reach Britain fall as security tightened 5 hours from now
- Greece arrests three suspected migrant boat raiders 5 hours from now
- South Africa's Tutu to remain in hospital for 'another few days' 4 hours from now
- IS detains four journalism students in Iraq - watchdog 4 hours from now
- Exiled Yemen PM, officials in Aden to lead restoration 4 hours from now
- Crowds cheer Bangladesh-India land swap after 70 years in limbo 3 hours from now
- Wing part arrives in France for probe into MH370 link 3 hours from now
- Angelina Jolie, Suu Kyi meet women garment workers in Myanmar 2 hours from now
- HABAGAT AND 'HANNA' | PAGASA sees more rains due to monsoon, approaching storm 1 hour ago
- Accenture, EXL seen hiring more Filipino nurses after U.S. Supreme Court clears Obamacare 2 hours ago
- Comelec declares bidding for PCOS refurbishment a failure 2 hours ago
- OFWs encouraged to invest in PTT Philippines' mini gas stations 2 hours ago